It’s October. There is snow in the forecast for Denver on Friday. I am not ready for it to be winter, people. Not even a little bit ready. But I am excited because it means I can start talking about Halloween costumes, which I’ve been holding back from since about August to keep people from thinking I’m crazy. I can’t be the only person who is sort of halfway considering her Halloween costume every day of the year, right?
Anyway, I do love new months, because that means I get to make new lists! And I really love lists.
At the end of August, Joy and I wrote up some goals on the GGW Blog, so let’s revisit those first, shall we?
- I have a bodyweight clean & jerk by January 1, 2014
- I have a 100# snatch by January 1, 2014 – with no starfish involved!!
- I can do 1 Muscle Up by January 1, 2014
- I have completed the CISSN Cert by March 1, 2014
- I have finished writing that eBook I’ve been meaning to write about how to start a blog that doesn’t suck by November 1, 2014
- I have finished writing the first draft of the book I’ve been meaning to write about surviving your 20s by June 1, 2014
My lifts and my muscle up are coming along, in the sense that I have been doing lots of CrossFit and working on my lifting. I feel closer than ever to breaking through the starfish and learning how to actually move under the bar. Once that hurdle is cleared, I think my clean and snatch maxes are going to spike. And I’m pretty excited about it.
And about those books? Haaaaven’t exactly started them. Ahem.
New goal time! Ok great!
Next week, our gym is moving a few blocks down the road into a much bigger facility that is going to allow for more open gym time and maybe even some more oly classes, which I am psyched about. One of the things that’s been hard about having these specific goals is that the only open gym time has been at 7:30am, which is hard to make since I have to leave the house by 8 to drive an hour to my job. I can make it on the days I work from home, but only being able to put in one or two extra hours of work a week hasn’t really felt like enough. So I am really excited to utilize that time and keep working on my weaknesses!
- Spend an additional 3 hours/week working on weightlifting. Move down to 2-3 WODs a week if necessary. This will start next week and will likely include a Catalyst Athletics program… I’ll keep you posted on what I pick!
- Spend 10 extra minutes 3x/week on pull-ups. After getting my first kipping pull-up about a year ago and my first strict pull-up not too long after, I have spent barely any time working on my pull-ups, and it showed this weekend when I had to do single pull-ups all through “Helen.”
- Keep eating Zone/Paleo (with the occasional break for a box of mac and cheese and a pumpkin beer, which was what I had for dinner last night). We have been back to strict zone/paleo for the past week, and I am loving it. It helps me eat more and helps me feel like I am getting the right kind of energy when I need it. Yay zone!
- Spend at least 2 nights/week at the Denver Recovery Center. The Recovery Center is this amazing facility that is located in the space directly behind our current gym location (so it will still only be a few extra blocks once we move) that is basically set up with all of the recovery tools you would find in an NFL locker room. Literally, there are Broncos players who use this place. They have cold and hot tubs, e-stem, cold lasers, lots of different mobility tools, and those inflatable compression pants that just make you feel like a badass.
- Get more sleep. I’m not really sure this is a goal because I get lots of sleep already, but I really wanted this list to have a round number of goals. Maybe my goal should be to get over my OCD.
Your turn! What are your goals for October?